Why vent to a friend when you have the Internet?

Friday, October 10, 2014

Problem is, some of us vent a little too much to the Internet. I know I'm guilty. It can be hard. Especially when you don't wanna bug someone. You don't wanna be that person that only contacts someone when something is wrong.
But how nice would it be to have someone solely for that? I used to be that person to a few of my friends. And I didn't mind. I know what it's like to need someone to talk to. They don't even have to give advice, just listening is enough most of the time. 
How much is too much? 
We all post status' or tweets about someone we don't like. Indirectly. Hoping maybe just maybe they'll see it and know it's about them. But I've seen a few people take it too far. Mentioning a few things here and there seems to be okay these days. But some people literally just sit there at their screens posting things to intentionally hurt someone. Why? What good does that do? It took a while for me to realize just how shitty I was being. Honestly. What kind of person just posts negative things about people? To make fun of someone? Why did I do that? I have no idea. I deleted my Twitter for a while. Kept a lot to myself. And you know, it's helped me. I don't feel the need to waste my time talking about someone that I honestly don't care about. I'm not going to invest my time on them anymore. I'm better than that. Next time you want to post something about someone you "don't like", try to just realize that you do care about that person. Enough to think about them, and post about them. Get over it. Move on. Grow up. You'll be a lot happier when that person just isn't in your life at all. Find something to distract you. Just remember that
  1. What Susie says of Sally says more of Susie than of Sally.

The other thing I see is relationship posts. Which I am also guilty of. I try not to anymore. Do we not realize that social media is like the #1 cause of separation now? The worst thing is seeing one parter complain about the other. Talk about embarrassing. I've done it. We all have. Or not. Some of us are better than that. THEN the next post is about how much they love their partner! It makes the relationship seem unstable. It's okay to bottle certain things up. If your man/woman is being a turd, then let them. So be it. Let them be a turd. You know the person better than all of your followers. You know if it's going to last forever or not. I know a few people might get upset about this. But if it's not something you realize then there's a bigger problem. You don't have to post every high and low of your relationship. If you're happy, you're happy. No one needs justification. There are only two people in (most) relationships. And the Internet is not included. 

The last type of venting I see is personal problems. Let's be real, we complain about how much life sucks to see who cares enough to text us and ask if we're okay. Bottom line is, we want attention. And we cry on the Internet like its our own personal diary. Why not text a friend and say "I need someone to talk to?" I've done it. I wasn't embarrassed at all. Sometimes that's all we need. Just to complain and cry. Most of our friends understand that and they're willing to listen. I have an amazing group of friends that are right there as soon as I need to talk. And they know I'm there for them. It's not the end of the world. Someone does care.
The Internet is not a diary. (I'm a bit of a hypocrite here writing this in my blog) 
I'm here to listen. And I'm sure you have a couple people that would love to help you out as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment