What Bob Marley means to me

Friday, February 6, 2015

February 6, 1945-May 11, 1981

What Bob Marley means to me. I feel like I'm writing an essay. I'm currently listening to Legend on vinyl as I write this.
When I was in 3rd grade, our teachers told us to write about our hero. I chose Bob Marley.
The only thing I knew about Bob Marley was what I got out of his lyrics.
For anyone that doesn't know what he stood for, a child choosing Bob Marley is off. If there's one thing people know about him, its that he smoked weed. A lot.
It starts back when I was literally born. My dad used to play Bob to put me to sleep. "Don't Rock My Boat" still makes me sleepy. My dad has always taught me to treat people with respect. He's always taught me not to judge. A lot of what my dad says reminds me of how Bob viewed things as well. My dad is filled with love, and anyone that listens to Marley knows he was too. I didn't get to spend as much time with my dad as I desperately wish I could have. My dad is my best friend. Bob Marley is ours. When my parents separated my mom flew us across the country and it broke my heart. I remember sitting with my dad, the last few hours I had with him. I begged him for his Bob Marley CD, the one we were listening to in the car. He was hesitant to give it to me. He told me to take care of it. I never told my dad what that meant to me. I listened to that exact CD every single night to put myself to sleep. Just like my dad did when he put me to sleep when I was a baby. When I listen to Bob Marley I don't think about stoners or weed. I think about a revolutionary, an activist. Someone that literally changed history. I think about the hours I got to spend with my dad. I think about how deeply Bob wanted equality, and of course love. Nothing in this world makes me emotional the way Bob Marley does. For those of you who don't know who he is, he is a reggae artist. You have to look beyond One Love and Three Little Birds, listen to anything before Legend and really get a feel for who he is as a person. I watched this documentary called Marley on Netflix, and I was just so moved by him. Bob Marley passed away about 34 years ago from Melanoma. I can't imagine how he would be changing lives today.
Bob was set to play the Independence ceremony in Zimbabwe, people threw tear gas at Bob and his members, the crowd was clearing out and it was absolute chaos. But all you see is Bob on stage pouring his heart out. He had no idea what was going on, he didn't jump off stage and run for safety. He told Zimbabwe that he was going to play a concert and he did, all the way through.
Bob Marley had a One Love Peace concert during a political civil war in Jamaica, during the song "Jammin" he got two political rivals (Michael Manley & Edward Seaga) to SHAKE HANDS.
I could literally go on for hours about how he amazes me in every aspect.
Today is his birthday. Today he would be 70 years old.
Bob Marley is an amazing soul. I wish everyone could see and be moved by his words. He will forever be my hero. I'll leave you with my favorite quote in the entire world, that happens to be by him.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"






I do not own the above photo of Bob Marley.

2 comments:

  1. this is such an inspiring post. bob marley really was truly incredible. id love it if youd comment back http://www.amyelizabethfashion.com/2015/02/happy-1st-birthday-to-amy-elizabeth.html xx

    ReplyDelete